Monday, September 15, 2008

The Political Rant Where I Overshare

I really, really need to stop reading polls and electoral maps. The thought of these crazy people running my beloved country for one more day makes my stomach turn. I am tired of the fear mongering over taxes. To me, this is very simple: I am very happy to pay taxes. I want better schools. I want the mentally ill to be safely receiving treatment. I want safe roads and airports. I want everyone to be able to go see a doctor. I want homeless people to have shelter.

My previous (and most likely, future) career centered around working with the least of those in my community. I have an understanding that this system, and the people living in it, are broken. I know the many faces of poverty and what it can do to a child. I know their names. I came to understand that there is a segment of our population that will never be able to take care of themselves due to disability, age or other circumstances. We are all called to take care of them, and to give others the tools to take care of themselves.

Are there actually people out there who are voting with the GOP because there is a vagina on the ticket? Show me a better reason (Note: Do not show me vagina).

Really?

I am a woman, a mother and a Christian. I am voting for Obama.

5 Comments:

Blogger hoppytoddle said...

kirsten, this whole situation drove me to start my own blog. I am a beacon in a sea o' red. thnks for speaking out. every lil bit helps. hope the reparenting is helping. wanted to say that the best advice i've gotten is to be consistent, to make promises (um, threats) i can keep, & keep them, calmly.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Karen E. said...

Amen!

From another Christian woman who is voting for Obama (and who may go off the deep end if she hears Palin tell that pitbull/hockey mom/lipstick joke one more time).

8:35 AM  
Blogger LITTLE MISS said...

Oh THANK YOU for verbalizing exactly how I feel.

I'm beginning to lose respect for my friends and family because they obviously see something we don't--they have McCain/Palin signs in their front yards...and I keep wondering, am I missing something?

I just stumbled across www.sleepingmommy.com 's website and she has a "community organizers" icon (made me smile!!)

6:50 PM  
Blogger Mrs Marcos said...

What kills me is that so many GOP supporters base their support on the "pro-life platform." OK, well the GOP has been in power for how many of the years since Roe v. Wade passed? And yet Roe V. Wade has never been over turned. The GOP uses the "pro-life" mantra to its advantage every election cycle but they don't really want abortion outlawed because that would eliminate one of the hot button issues that can help their side. It is total bullshit. I don't know anyone that is "pro-abortion." But like Obama said, I think we can all agree we need to decrease the number of unwanted pregnancies. (I think that quote was pretty close)

The GOP Pro-life platform doesn't translate to human rights, capital punishment, and wars based on made up information. Pro-life isn't for the women and children dying for Bush's made up war. Pro-life isn't for the American soldiers.

The whole Bristol Palin teen pregnancy...no, it shouldn't be our business, it is a private matter...unless Bristol's mother and her political party preaches the "abstinence only" sex education approach (which she does). Unfortunately for Bristol she is the poster child for why abstinence only isn't a viable sex ed curriculum.

Oh, and if I have to hear the whole "I put a stop to the bridge to nowhere" talking point one more time I'm going to flip out. Really, does she think we're not smart enough to uncover her voting record and realize that she supported it until it became a big issue and she knew it was going to cause problems...THEN she voted against it.

And we're just supposed to believe that Palin wasn't misusing her power when pushing for the Alaska State Troopers to terminate her ex-brother-in-law. Hmmmm, seems a little strange to me.

I'm rambling, but thanks for being brave and throwing your beliefs out here!

Go Obama!!! :)

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen Sister!

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home