Friday, July 20, 2007

Date Night

My mother came to watch the girls the other night so we could have a date night. I must say that nights on the town have changed a lot since the children arrived.

Before children: Friday night Lots of money and time to burn. Little Italian restaurant. 5 courses. 2 bottles of wine. Amazing conversation. Comment on couples who aren't deep in conversation and swear to never end up like that. No actual activity needed because dinner took all night anyway so lets just get home and work on making babies.

Now: Tuesday. Meet at local bar, call Davey on my way there so he can order my sandwich so it will be ready. Cokes. Not much conversation, reading of the paper. Desperately miss our children. Finish up dinner so we can head out to a long-awaited activity. Get antsy mid-way through museum because am missing children. Get home by 8:45 and I head to bed, David to his chair.

Actually? I prefer how we do it now. It isn't that we aren't interested in each other, it is just that we have to enjoy quiet moments together while we can without the screaming "SHOE!! SPOON! GOLDIE POTTY!". We went to see Body Worlds at OMSI and it was very cool. It would have been better had I not been dodging an OBGYN that spent copious amounts of time rummaging through my nether regions a few months ago when Ruby was still on the inside. It was like the whole worlds colliding thing. There was also an exhibit that showed exactly what killed my father and that was sort of rough to see so up close.

We totally thought about going for dessert, but felt bad leaving mom out so headed off to Dairy Queen and brought home some ice cream.

I think this is what happens to old people.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sabrina said...

LOL! Sometimes I miss what life was BEFORE kids. Usually when we are out though I just want to hurry and get back home though! I should enjoy it but I can't! lol I was just telling my dh the other day that I can't remember the last time we stayed up past midnight!!! I definately feel old!!

11:39 AM  
Blogger MomSmoo said...

I actually had to read you post to B because hot damn that is us too! Well, actually that would be us if we ever went on a date night, but since family is 4 hours away.... well, it is kinda hard to find a reliable babysitter for 2 under 2.

We do the no talking, co-existing thing though when the kids go to bed, that is if B can make it past 8:30 without falling asleep.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home